Bio: Christian Ferencz-Flatz is the author of two monographs: Obișnuit și neobișnuit în viața de zi cu zi: Fenomenologia situației și critica conceptului de valoare la Martin Heidegger /The Phenomenology of Situation and the Heideggerian Critique of the Concept of Value (Humanitas, Bucharest, 2009) and Retro. Amorse pentru o fenomenologie a trecutului / Retro. Rudiments for a Phenomenology of the Past (Humanitas, Bucharest, 2014). He has published several articles in international journals such as Continental Philosophy Review, Husserl Studies, Phänomenologische Forschungen, Zeitschrift für philosophische Forschung, Tijdschrift voor Filosofie etc. He translated into Romanian several works by Martin Heidegger and Edmund Husserl, and is now translating Walter Benjamin. His research interests include: phenomenology, critical theory, the philosophy of history, image- and film theory.
Project title: Benjamin’s Challenge to Husserl. A Critical Approach to the Phenomenology of Sensory Perception
Project description: The present research project aims to give a systematic account of Walter Benjamin’s theory of the historic mutability of sensory perception, i.e. his theory according to which the very structure of human perception is as such historically relative and variable. By contrasting this claim with the theory of perception put forth in Husserl’s classical phenomenology – where sensory perception is regarded, on the contrary, as an invariable core-element of human experience – the project intends to asses the value and the implications of Benjamin’s theory as a challenge to one of the most fundamental presuppositions of phenomenological epistemology. As such, the present project understands itself from the onset as part of a broader research endeavour, aiming to investigate the various tensions and interrelations between phenomenology and critical theory.
Published or Accepted for publication
- The Element of Intersubjectivity. Heidegger’s Early Conception of Empathy, in: Continental Philosophy Review 2015 (accepted for publication)
- Geschichte am Scheideweg. Heidegger und der Surrealismus bei Benjamin, in: Philosophisches Jahrbuch 2015 (accepted for publication)
- Sehen Als-ob. Ästhetik und Pragmatik in Husserls Bildlehre, Bautz, Nordhausen, 2015 (forthcoming)
- review of: Edmund Husserl, Grenzprobleme der Phänomenologie. Analysen des Unbewusstseins und der Instinkte. Metaphysik. Späte Ethik. Texte aus dem Nachlass (1908-1937), in: Studia Phaenomenologica XV (2015) (forthcoming)
- Incursiuni fenomenologice în noul film românesc, Tact, Cluj, 2015
- Zur Geschichtlichkeit der sinnlichen Wahrnehmung. Benjamin contra Husserl
B. Participation in conferences, workshops, symposia etc.
- „Die Erfindung eines Phänomenologen. Der Fall Alexandru Dragomir”, at the international conference: Horizons Beyond Borders: Traditions and Perspectives of the Phenomenological Movement in Central and Eastern Europe, Budapest, 17–19 June, 2015